Tuesday, December 14, 2010

How Long does Change Take?

"The Art of Great Design" is an interesting piece on the need to focus on design when sharing information online.  Proven is a publication which deals with performance, training, workforce and development.


Here's a quote from the article (probably need to print to read):
Not that long ago, it was impressive when someone made information available via the Internet -- no matter how cumbersome or unappealing the presentation.Contemporary consumers expect sophisticated navigation and palatable aesthetics at the very minimum.


When I first started teaching in 1999, I used to put stuff on the web on my own.  As a web designer (at least back then), I was always conscious on how the information was represented.
Taken with my camera phone...low budget technology
This graphic above caught my eye, how long does it really take for CHANGE?


Anyway, as I started to read the article, I made another connection:


I just completed a Quality Matters certification course where online learning design is the primary focus.  One question I've had is: "Doesn't good online learning design encompass good design? Don't you need to be an effective 'designer' before adding the words 'online' in front of it?"


While learning management systems like Blackboard and emerging standards like Quality Matters are streamlining design, they don't assist with the creativity needed to effectively stimulate folks (traditional students and otherwise) online.


Here's what I wrote in the discussion board of a 6 week Online Teaching course I am lurking/working in. 
QM doesn't teach creativity.  I think what is SORELY missing from QM design is the notion of creativity.  Not just, folding napkins creativity, but online learning creativity.  There is a visual aspect to the Internet.  For those who have never designed a webpage or any other Internet medium (blog, newsletter... something), I think it is nearly impossible to be a stimulating online educator.  Here's a Fast Company article on Creativity:  http://www.fastcompany.com/1671590/the-creativity-gap.  The quote I like:
Thankfully, there is hope. According to a joint study between Harvard and Intsead, it turns out that creativity is 85% a learned skill. That means that all of us, even on our groggy days, have 85% the creative potential as Mozart, or Picasso, or Da Vinci. We simply need a process to tap into this valuable natural resource.Creativity is like a muscle--we all have the capacity to build muscle mass if we exercise. If we fail to do so, our muscles atrophy. The same is true with creativity. By embracing and exercising our creativity muscles, we unleash a wellspring of insight. This innovation will drive success in both your company and your career. For dozens of exercises, links, resources, and best practices, click here.
Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment